[MlMt] spinning beachball of death

James Galvin galvin at elistx.com
Thu Jan 25 07:33:30 EST 2018

Coming back to my original message, here is the current status and the
“fix”.

As part of my configuration I have a number of smart mailboxes (e.g, A1)
that I use to identify sets of messages.  Next I have a number of other
smart mailboxes that include in their conditions the use of the test
(“is not in” A1).

Benny says it’s the use of “is not in” that’s the issue.  It
manifests a “performance bug”.  At least part of the issue is that
MailMate is not particularly efficient about making that calculation.
If I allow myself to be patient the “spinning beachball” does
eventually complete, mostly in around 10-15 minutes but I have waited
over an hour.

Benny’s pretty sure there’s something else going on too.  The
primary point here is that this will not be an easy fix.

The fix I have is really a work around.  Step 1, don’t use “is not
in”.

Step 2, in the smart mailboxes I use to identify sets of messages, I
added a rule to set a mailbox unique tag to messages in those mailboxes,
e.g., the name of the mailbox A1.  Then, in the mailboxes where I
don’t want those messages to appear, I use the condition “Tags is
not A1”.

Works like a charm.  No more “spinning beachball of death”.  I am
once again a very happy MailMate user.

Benny is going to continue to study the issue and hopefully identify a
way to be more efficient about calculating “is not in”.

Thanks to all, especially Benny,

Jim