[MlMt] Rules on account vs Inbox

Mon Jan 22 09:47:22 EST 2018

On 22 Jan 2018, at 1:37, Randall Gellens wrote:

> What is the difference between rules on an account and rules on the
> account's Inbox?

The latter is only applied to new emails in the Inbox. You would almost
never want to add rules to the account since these are triggered
whenever something is moved into any mailbox within the account.

> I created a bunch of rules on each of multiple accounts, and just
> realized this means I can't manually execute them, since the UI to do
> so only seems to run Inbox rules.  Do the rules still execute when
> mail arrives, or are they useless?

They are also applied when mail arrives in the mailbox. And when moving
something to Sent Messages, etc. You don't want this.

The “Apply Rules” menu item should always be able to apply the rules
of the currently selected mailbox to the selected messages or the entire
mailbox.

> Is there a way to move rules from an account to a mailbox of the
> account (or from one mailbox to another)?

Drag'n'drop (or copy/paste) is unfortunately not yet supported.

The only way is to edit this file when MailMate is not running:

	/Applications/MailMate.app/Contents/MacOS/MailMate