[MlMt] Security (Benny Kjær Nielsen)

Thu Jan 18 04:39:29 EST 2018

On 17 Jan 2018, at 17:47, uncat wrote:

>> I back you up. Only thing to add is that one should make sure that
>> SSL
>> is always enabled such that a password is never sent to the IMAP/SMTP
>> server in plain text. Note that most proper email servers wouldn't
>> even
>> allow non-SSL connections.
>
> Is there a Privacy Policy shown during the installation by chance?

No. Installation is just dragging MailMate to, e.g., the Applications
folder.

MailMate is a Desktop application and most of its network activity is
between you and your IMAP/SMTP providers. MailMate only talks to my
server when doing application update checks, when updating bundles (a
plugin-system for MailMate) and when sending crash reports (if enabled
in the General preferences pane).

If you get a license key then I also have access to some personal
information via FastSpring (my reseller). Earlier on I got an email with
this information for every purchase, but this is no longer the case.
This means that I only store the name and email address of each license
key owner (everything else is handled by FastSpring). I do *not* have
(and never had) access to credit card information.

That's all the relevant information I can think of for now. Let me know
if you have any concerns or you can point to an example of a privacy
policy which you would prefer instead of the above.

MailMate is developed by Freron Software which is a small one-man (me)
business located in Copenhagen, Denmark (in the EU).

MailMate developer