[MlMt] Security

Wed Jan 17 10:44:20 EST 2018

On 17 Jan 2018, at 14:06, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

> What authentication options that don't involve sending passwords does
> MailMate support? Is there a way to configure MM to use only one of
> these safer options if available? I know that I use it with an IMAP
> server that only supports CRAM-MD5 and DIGEST-MD5.

MailMate only supports `CRAM-MD5`. It can be forced to only use this by
editing `Sources.plist` (and `Submission.plist`) to include this for
each account:

	authMechanism = 'CRAM-MD5';

(`XOAUTH` is also supported for Gmail/Outlook.)

The only real reason for the lack of support of other mechanisms is that
I implemented it myself instead of using a library which probably
supports more methods (I haven't checked recently).

Also, most of the servers I have access to only support very few
authentication methods. They don't even support `CRAM-MD5`.