[MlMt] option to automatically jump to first unread message of thread

Eric Sharakan esharakan at gmail.com
Sun Feb 25 15:22:33 EST 2018

>> Hi, I often deal with long-running email threads at work.  I have
>> Organize by Thread enabled for my work Inbox, and as I'm going
>> through
>> my unread messages in the morning, when I get to an old thread with
>> new correspondence, I'm taken to the beginning of the thread rather
>> than the first unread message.  Is there a preference to change that
>> behavior?
>>
>> I already have a smart mailbox that includes only unread messages,
>> but
>> I don't like using it, as I prefer to have the option to review
>> previously read messages in case I need the additional context.  I
>> also know there's a hotkey I can use to jump to the next unread
>> message, but was just wondering if perhaps there was a preference to
>> make that be the default behavior.
>
> I'm not sure how that would work if you're not asking for “next
> unread”. How are you selecting this thread?

Usually I just hit the spacebar at the prior message.  Sometimes I use
the down arrow.

> What you really need is probably a different threading mode (which has
> been on my todo forever) which allows you to display the newest
> message
> at the top of the thread.

No that's not what I want.  I think what I'm asking for is a mode,
setting, or some method to determine when I'm in "reading new messages"
mode.  When in that mode, going past the end of a message would
essentially invoke "Next Unread Message", without my having to remember
the "Cmd-Opt-Down" keybinding for that operation.

Perhaps this is only really meaningful when Organize by Thread is in
use?

Does that make sense?

-Eric