[MlMt] Preserving tags

Tue Feb 20 05:45:58 EST 2018

On 13 Feb 2018, at 0:16, Rick Holzgrafe wrote:

> This means that we need a way to preserve our archived mail. That’s
> easy enough—EagleFiler will do it, or we could just make a Finder
> copy of our cache folders. But these mechanisms do not preserve the
> tags (even though both EagleFiler and the Finder do support tagging),
> so we will lose all of our carefully-built-up organization.
>
> Is there any way to preserve not just the mail, but also the tags that
> we have applied in Mailmate? I have explored the Application Support >
> Mailmate folder, but as far as I can tell the tag info is not stored
> there, except for a handy list of all the tag names.

It's unfortunately not easily accessed. Ideally, MailMate would map its
IMAP-based tags to file system tags, but I simply haven't had the time
to implement that. This would also preserve the tags if simply
exporting/dragging emails to a disk folder.

> As far as I know, we won’t be able to simply transfer our mail from
> our own server to a hosted server.

Moving emails between IMAP servers preserves tags as long as the
destination server supports IMAP keywords.