[MlMt] Does MailMate mirror everything back to the server?

Steven M. Bellovin smb at cs.columbia.edu
Mon Feb 19 23:51:40 EST 2018

IMAP is better if you have more than one device. You can see a message
on your phone and delete it; your laptop will never see it. However, you
can also decide that this is a message you can't handle on your phone,
so you leave it on the server and deal with it later from your laptop.

It's a server-to-many-clients model. Each client can decide for itself
how much it wants to keep locally. MailMate keeps everything.
Thunderbird and Apple Mail let you decide which folders you want to keep
copies of on your computer. Phones generally keep some of a folder but
not all.

There are some IMAP clients that have local folders -- you can move
messages to them, in which case they'll be only on your device but will
be deleted from the server. MailMate doesn't work that way, but if you
want, you can always run dovecot or some such on your laptop; you'll
then be speaking IMAP locally. However, that goes against the intent of
IMAP, which is to make mail available to multiple devices. That's not
the only reason it was developed to replace POP3, but it's pretty high
on the list.

And "cloud"? I run my own IMAP server, so that I don't have to trust
Google or whomever.