[MlMt] Visualize Bundle - not working?

Sherif Soliman sherif at ssoliman.com
Mon Aug 13 23:31:54 EDT 2018

On 4 Jul 2018, at 14:03, Bill Cole wrote:

> On 4 Jul 2018, at 0:49 (-0400), Sherif Soliman wrote:
>
>> Hi Ben,
>>
>> On 3 Jul 2018, at 8:21, Ben Hyde wrote:
>>
>>> Maybe I just need a poke withe the clue stick, but I think this
>>> bundle isn’t
>>> working today.
>>>
>>> I installed it a half hour ago, for the first time.
>>>
>>> And when I select a group of messages and hit cntl-t it
>>> opens a page in Safari; but I don’t see a chart.
>>>

>> I'm the author of the plugin. You're not missing anything.
>> Unfortunately, the plugin stopped working somewhat recently due to a
>> change in the security models in browsers (all major ones, as far as
>> I know) where loading an external file in the way MailMate enabled
>> the plugin to do was considered insecure and no longer allowed. The
>> problem is explained by Benny [in this GitHub
>> issue](https://github.com/sheriferson/Visualize.mmBundle/issues/6#issuecomment-334471941).
>>
>> It seems that for this to work, MailMate (or the plugin) would need
>> to spin up a simple http server to be able to read the file generated
>> by MailMate.
>
> Have you looked at switching to the current version of the D3
> framework? It seems to have switched how it retrieves external data
> (no more XMLHttpRequest) which MAY solve the issue.

I've finally had some time to look at this, and posted a [response to
the
issue](https://github.com/sheriferson/Visualize.mmBundle/issues/6#issuecomment-412742671)
with results of investigation and some options.

I did try using the latest d3 framework but it didn't solve the problem
(at least not without other code changes). I may be missing something
though — if you've seen a recent example of D3 successfully reading an
external data file locally without a local server running, I'd
appreciate a link.

Sherif