[MlMt] Outlook style reply styling

Thu Apr 26 05:25:09 EDT 2018

On 25 Apr 2018, at 9:48, Allan Reiffman wrote:

> How can I have the vertical "reply" line be removed from the reply to
> a message?

The vertical line is HTML (CSS) styling of quoted paragraphs
(blockquote). In a sense, it's not really part of the message.

> How can I add a horizontal line to the bottom of my reply?

Using Markdown you can use `---` on a line of its own. Using plain text
you could use an HTML signature containing `<hr>`.

> For better or worse the company where I work uses Outlook, and in a
> given email conversation thread the replies are simply stacked one on
> top of the other with no reply indicator or indentation, with each
> message being separated by a faint horizontal line.  I would like my
> replies from Mailmate to be consistent with this format.
>
> I assume that to do this I would need to customize the reply styling -
> is there a guideline or any documentation on how to do this (in
> general), and / or specifically what I would need to modify to achieve
> the above?

I don't think current features would allow you to do that. In general, I
try to make MailMate as “standards” compliant as possible, but I
also try to be pragmatic when users have to deal with the realities of
the world. In this case, it means allowing users to emulate Outlook
behavior when necessary (and hopefully only when necessary). But I'm not
even sure Outlook always behaves as you describe. It might also be
company traditions which play a role.

I would like to see a typical email thread. If possible, you can send it
to me using “Help ▸ Send Feedback” in MailMate (you can
drag'n'drop an email to attach it). Then I can more easily determine
what it would require for MailMate to handle such emails when replying.