[MlMt] Surprising behavior when editing rules

Randall Gellens mailmate at randy.pensive.org
Thu Apr 5 10:41:32 EDT 2018

On 4 Apr 2018, at 9:11, Randall Meadows wrote:

> On 3 Apr 2018, at 18:23, Randall Gellens wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> When editing a mailbox rule, if I change the condition, the match
>> text also changes, which seems unexpected.  For example, if an
>> existing rule contains:
>>
>>> [ Recipient (To, Cc, Bcc) > **User** ]  [ is not ]  [ **foo at gork** ]
>>
>> And I change the condition subpart from "User" to "Address", the
>> match text gets replaced with something:
>>
>>> [ Recipient (To, Cc, Bcc) > **Address** ]  [ is not ]  [
>>> **bar at flex** ]
>>
>> I would expect that when editing an exiting rule which already
>> contains text in the match text field, that text would remain and not
>> be replaced.
>
> Does this happen when you do NOT have a message selected in the
> message list?  I could see this being a useful feature, by using
> context to "help" you edit the rule.

When creating a new rule, yes, I can see it being helpful.  But when
editing an existing rule, I find it counter-productive and unhelpful.
This is because a new rule would otherwise have an empty match text
field, so a guess as to what to put there won't hurt, but an existing
rule already has text there, and to delete it is not expected nor
helpful.

--Randall