[MlMt] Query about saving messages

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.net
Wed Sep 20 10:08:36 EDT 2017

On 20 Sep 2017, at 4:09, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> On 19 Sep 2017, at 16:40, Robert Goldman wrote:
>
>> I tend to file my messages in folders for different projects when I
>> am done with them.
>>
>> On Thunderbird, I have been using the "Nostalgy" plugin, which lets
>> me write rules that automatically provide default save folders.
>> E.g., I can have a rule that says that a message from customer of
>> Project X that's in my work email inbox should go into folder
>> "project X".
>>
>> Is there any way to do something like this in MailMate?  Note that
>> I'm not looking for rules that dump email *directly* into these
>> folders -- I'm just looking for help selecting the folder when I have
>> already indicated I want to file an email.
>
> I assume you have found the “Rules” pane in the mailbox editor. If
> I understand correctly you need a way to only trigger such rules when
> explicitly asking MailMate to do so. Like an “Auto Archive”
> button.
>
> One way to do that:
>
> * Go to the Tags preferences pane to create an “AutoArchive” tag.
> * Create a smart mailbox based on your Inbox which has the condition
> that the emails must be tagged “AutoArchive”.
> * Add rules to this smart mailbox which archives the emails.
>
> Now, whenever you need to auto archive something you'll select all
> emails in the Inbox (using ⌘A) and then hit `t` to add the
> “AutoArchive” tag. You can also create a custom key binding to add
> this tag with a single shortcut. Or use the Tag popup in the toolbar.
>
> I hope this helps.

Yes, thank you very much, it's helpful.

One thing Nostalgy does that is nice is provide a *default* destination
mailbox instead of automatically making the choice.  That lets me change
the destination if it's not appropriate.  So what Nostalgy does is more
like providing the function of sorting the menu of mailboxes one gets in
response to CMD-Option-T.  But I believe your approach will get me
enough of what I need.

Thank you for all of your assistance.