[MlMt] MailMate tagging, Dovecot, and Thunderbird transition

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.net
Tue Sep 19 11:09:27 EDT 2017

On 14 Sep 2017, at 0:44, Fredrik Jonsson wrote:

> Robert Goldman 2017-09-13 20:24 wrote:
>
>> I haven't been able to figure out from the webs whether Dovecot is a
>> suitable IMAP server for MailMate.
>
> Dovecot is one of the few fully compliant IMAP servers
> <https://imapwiki.org/ImapTest/ServerStatus>. It works perfectly with
> MailMate and any other solid IMAP client.
>
> I run Dovecot on my mail servers since many years.

Thank you very much.  I was able to figure this out, once I stumbled
into using the tags editor.  The dovecot-garbled strings that
corresponding to my Thunderbird tags were very confusing, though, e.g.,
$Local1, etc.  If someone was to have the energy to explain this and add
it to the manual, that would be great.  Actually, it would be very
helpful to have "transition from X" sections, at least for Gmail,
Mail.app, and Thunderbird (and maybe whatever MS calls their
Outlook-for-Mac).  Gmail is so idiosyncratic that it needs an
explanation all of its own.  Mail.app and TBird against IMAP are pretty
normal, and my guess is that talking to Exchange  has its own oddities.