[MlMt] Problem with GPG encryption

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.net
Sun Oct 1 12:25:43 EDT 2017

On 30 Sep 2017, at 1:31, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> On 29 Sep 2017, at 18:29, Robert Goldman wrote:
>
>> I tried out the following:
>>
>> ```
>> defaults write com.freron.MailMate MmDebugSecurity -bool YES ; open
>> /Applications/MailMate.app
>> ```
>> ...but I don't see anything in the terminal window or the console.
>> Did I do something wrong?
>
> Launch MailMate like this:
>
> 	/Applications/MailMate.app/Contents/MacOS/MailMate
>
> --
> Benny

Thank you!  I'll test that now.

By the way, I believe I have found the source of the problem: when
invoked by MailMate, GPG is using the "classic" trust model, which seems
to mean that it ignores my "user trust" settings (the trust I manually
assign to public keys), and only uses trust computed from signatures.

That is what I believe.  The documentation is quite poor, so I could be
misinterpreting.

The next question is whether this is a matter of how GPG is invoked by
MailMate, or whether it's a matter of my GPG configuration file.

[Once again I am reminded what a confusing mess public key cryptography
is, and why it is that it is so rarely used.]

Thanks for all of your advice. I hope that I will come up with an answer
that will be generally helpful to all MailMate users, to make it
worthwhile.

Best,