[MlMt] Gmail stars vs flags

Wed Nov 29 09:20:27 EST 2017

On 28 Nov 2017, at 16:23, Robert Brenstein wrote:

> Shoddy IMAP servers might be the issue indeed but I am sure I am not
> the only one facing this and if MM could support tags reliably across
> the spectrum of servers (using IMAP or not), it would surely be a big
> plus.

Certainly, but I already do many things to make MailMate work with all
kinds of shoddy IMAP servers. I have to draw the line somewhere and for
me it's adding (complex and inefficient) workarounds for missing server
features. I already work around missing UIDPLUS support (an old IMAP
extension for offline email clients) and this was a bit of a nightmare
to implement. Also, such a workaround would never have the potential of
working with any other email clients.

> Two of my problematic services are running on Exchange. Another is
> using office365.com. Yet another is running CommuniGate Pro which
> supports the IMAP tags but they decided to allow only a subset of
> standard tags (I am arguing with them but no luck so far — large
> institutions have their own ideas what should be).

Exchange is unfortunately one of very few IMAP servers not supporting
IMAP keywords.