[MlMt] Gmail stars vs flags

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Wed Nov 22 18:24:30 EST 2017

On 22 Nov 2017, at 12:22 (-0500), Robert Brenstein wrote:

> I hope that when MM starts properly syncing its setting, that can be
> followed by syncing flags and tags directly. I am using like 6
> different mail servers and only 1 seems to sync them, which translates
> into 1 account of like 12 for me.

Flags and tags are implemented in MM using IMAP's flags feature, so a
shoddy IMAP server that does not support that feature requires that MM
store any flags in the local cache for each message. This could be a
HUGE sync project across clients, complicated by the fact that messages
in the local cache may not be numbered identically on 2 different
clients. It's not an impossible problem, but it's a very big task for
first sync if you have a lot of messages and will always be slow. It's
the price of 3rd-rate IMAP servers...