[MlMt] Gmail stars vs flags

Vincent Danen vdanen at linsec.ca
Tue Nov 21 17:04:38 EST 2017

So I'm trying to find a way to reconcile gmail stars with mailmate
flags.  In gmail you can have stars of different colours, which is
pretty awesome for using them to represent certain things (and with the
gmail multi-inbox lab it makes the inbox really rather efficient).

But when I star something in gmail (regardless of colour), it shows up
as the default red flag.  And when I use any coloured flag in mailmate,
it shows up as a yellow star in gmail.  Which is annoying since I use
the gmail app on my phone and I'd like a system that colours things the
same in both.  I _could_ use labels/mailboxes like I do now, but I find
if I have them tucked away then it's hard to go back to (I don't have
that much discipline I guess).  But if they're all in my inbox, and if I
have smart mailboxes to filter it for the times I need those views, I
feel like I'd get better control.

I tried searching the list for anything like this so apologies if it's
been brought up before, but I didn't see anything.  I imagine there is
some specific gmail magic that makes 'yellow-star' a thing versus
'$MailFlagBit2' but is there any way to reconcile these at all?

I looked at using tags as well, but while the tags carry over from one
instance of mailmate to another, it's not something I can filter on in
gmail itself.

--
Vincent Danen @ https://annvix.com/