[MlMt] Debugging custom keystrokes (another newbie question)

David Ledger mailmate at ivdcs.co.uk
Fri Nov 10 16:03:44 EST 2017

On 10 Nov 2017, at 4:04, Paul Sture wrote:

> On 6 Nov 2017, at 14:54, David Ledger wrote:

>>> I *think* most of your questions are answered
>>> [here](https://manual.mailmate-app.com/custom_key_bindings.html#key-bindings-in-mailmate).

>>> I've added this.

>>> No.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Benny
>>
>> ‘/‘ is to be avoided in filenames in Unix systems generally.
>> Having worked with Unix since (just) before the Mac I’ve never
>> tried using it with OSX. It may (or may not) work, but it’s a
>> low-level fiddle-around if it does and could break. Similarly I avoid
>> ‘:’ as that used to be the pathname separator pre-OSX, even
>> though it wasn’t as visible to users. There used to be a
>> compatibility fiddle-around for that, but Apple may have dropped that
>> by now.
>>

> If I remember correctly, ":" is used by AppleScript as the pathname
> separator.

Pre-OSX that was generally the case on the Mac, and so filenames with
embedded ‘:’ characters were not allowed. OSX, being Unix based uses
‘/‘ instead, and added workarounds so that files with either would
sort of work, but they had to be invisibly changed to allow things to do
so.

There is a Unix system library routine that takes a string of characters
as an argument and returns a pointer to a file on the basis of that
string being a file path. The string has to consist of sub-strings
separated by some delimiter. Each substring before the last is taken to
be a directory (folder) name, and the last is a directory, file, device
or a couple of other things. Obviously the delimiter used can’t be a
component of any substring. This is a fairly low level routine and OSX
will have to use it to be ‘Unix’. Unix used ‘/‘, Apple used
‘:’ and DOS used ‘\’ (which wasn’t even available on generic
terminal device keyboards back then - i.e. Teletypes).

David