[MlMt] Transferring mailmate config

Robert Brenstein mailmate at learning-insights.eu
Thu Nov 9 09:48:57 EST 2017

On 7 Nov 2017, at 23:39, Bill Cole wrote:

> I agree with this. I do think it would be a nice feature to at least
> synchronize mailboxes, signatures, and tags. It's just one of those
> features I keep on postponing.
>>
>> Synchronizing account settings would be tricky although I haven't
>> thought about it in detail.
>

> I miss the old "MobileMe" prefs sync. It *mostly* worked...
>
> In theory, an app can use the NSUbiquitousKeyValueStore class to sync
> prefs between multiple devices, but it has an issue. From the Apple
> docs:
>
>    "To use this class, you must distribute your app through the App
> Store or Mac App Store"
>
> One thing that MIGHT work for the settings that are in the 'defaults'
> subsystem  (I have not tried it, because I value my email...) is to
> use its "export" and "import" subcommands to dump the settings to a
> file that can be loaded on another machine. That has all sorts of
> problematic edge cases, such as the fact that in my case the 2
> machines I would be keeping in sync are a 27" iMac and a 13" Macbook.
> The different screen sizes mean that I don't want the same window
> sizes or default layouts or columns or even fonts on both machines. So
> if a dump/load approach was used, there would need to be some way to
> protect machine-specific settings.

Synchronizing MM settings and config can be done through some cloud
service or through some imap service (as discussed a while ago). What I
am missing yet is syncing the spamsieve settings and data. I regularly
run into issue that spam handling on each computer does not agree with
each other and mails are showing up in wrong places.

Robert