[MlMt] Debugging custom keystrokes (another newbie question)

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.net
Tue Nov 7 10:54:15 EST 2017

On 7 Nov 2017, at 6:54, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

>>> I've added this.
>>
>> Thanks.  Will this pop-up in a beta build when I update?
>
> Yes, it should work in the next update.

>>> No.
>>
>> Then I guess I'm still at a loss.  When a keystroke fails to do what
>> I expect, is there any debugging recourse?  Is there some sort of API
>> that Apple supplies to let you query a keyboard configuration with a
>> keystroke to find out what will happen?  Is there a logging
>> capability that one can use to see how keystrokes were mapped in an
>> application?
>
> Sorry, neither the system or MailMate does much to help you here.
>
> You can send me your key bindings file and I'll see if I can spot the
> problem. That's the best I can offer you for now.

It's quite simple, and it was mostly copied from the manual and from
GitHub resources.  This is all it is:
```
{
     "^@\U000D" = "send:"; // Cmd + Return
     "^@\U000A" = "send:"; // Cmd + Enter
     // spacebar like Thunderbird
     " " = "scrollPageDownOrNextUnreadMessage:";
     // tag commands
     "t" = {
	"p" = ( "setTag:", "Primrose" );
         };
}
```

and it's in a file called `rpg-bindings.plist` in `~/Library/Application
Support/MailMate/Resources/KeyBindings/`

My keybinding preference text field is like this:
`Postbox,rpg-bindings`
and the "Custom Key Bindings" "Enable:" checkbox is checked.

When I try using the `t-p` combination in the messages window, it seems
like some other keybinding interfere, and I get a thread display (I
believe this is coming from the Postbox bindings).  When I try Cmd +
Return in a compose buffer, I just get a beep.

I have probably just done something obvious and stupid, but I can't for
the life of me figure out what... I don't even know how to tell if my
file is failing to parse (although `plutil` says it is OK), or if the
file is simply never being read.

Thanks, and sorry for all the questions,