[MlMt] one app, 2 computers

Zvi Biener zvistrash at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 13:31:34 EDT 2017

This is an extremely inefficient use of resources but, this is my
solution to the issue:

1. I have MM running on Computer 1, with its .../Application Support...
folder synced to iCloud (can be any service, I suppose). (It "actually"
sits in the iCloud directory, with a hard link from the Application
Support directory.

2. I have MM running on Computer 2, set-up in the same way.

3. Two copies of MM cannot be on at the same time. I have an AppleScript
to launch MM, which checks whether a com.freron.Mailmait.pid file exists
in Mailmate's directory. If a file exists, MM is either already running
locally, or running on the other machine. If Mailmate is running, the
script activate it. If not, then the script refuses to open it. If the
file doesn't exist, MailMate opens. I can send the script to you
off-list if you are interested.

4. Important: the computers need to be synced before I open the MailMate
script, but this only takes a minute or so after waking up from sleep.

5. Be aware that MailMate writes lots of data all the time, so this is
really inefficient bandwidth use.

6. When I forget to close MailMate on one machine, I reluctantly use
another email client. To me, the ability to sync across computer is the
most needed feature of mailmate, but I've learned to deal with it in
this way.

Best,
Zvi