[MlMt] iCloud accounts require an app specific password starting June 15th

Tue May 16 14:35:03 EDT 2017

On 16 May 2017, at 18:12, Brian LaFreda wrote:

> MailMate does work with Apple’s app specific passwords, just don’t
> use the FQDN’d email address for username. Truncate the
> @me/mac/icloud.com and you’re good to go.

I don't know if app specific passwords trigger this to be important
(it's a bit weird), but I think it actually correlates with some of the
user feedback I've had in the past.

In any case, it's documented by Apple
[here](https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202304). It does sound a bit
like they don't really know themselves what's going on: “Username:
This is usually the name part of your iCloud email address (for example,
emilyparker, not emilyparker at icloud.com). If your email client can't
connect to iCloud using just the name part of your iCloud email address,
try using the full address.”

It gets even weirder when reading the instructions for the SMTP
username: “Username: Your full iCloud email address (for example,
emilyparker at icloud.com, not emilyparker)”

But as the developer of something as idiosyncratic as MailMate I really
should not be the one to point fingers :)