[MlMt] Inject custom javascript into Message View

Tue Jun 27 09:51:40 EDT 2017

On 26 Jun 2017, at 16:38, Padraic Renaghan wrote:

> I am not sure I have ever understood completely the embedding or not
> setting, nor the inline or not setting. Is there somewhere that
> describes what all that does so I can decide the best choice for me?

For most users, the defaults should be fine. The only documentation is
[here](https://manual.mailmate-app.com/preferences#composer_preferences).
Well, maybe also a bit
[here](https://manual.mailmate-app.com/introduction).

But I'll try to give a quick explanation here.

Embedding: HTML messages are very hard to handle when
forwarding/replying. Earlier on MailMate only allowed you to create
plain text messages or use “Forward as Attachment” which puts the
original email in its own part of the generated email (as an
attachment). Now, MailMate also allows you to tell it to insert (embed)
the original HTML into the new message making it part of the HTML
generated by MailMate. This is usually the best way to keep the look of
the original message and it's essentially how most email clients work.

CSS Inlining: When embedding HTML then it's a big problem if the HTML
has any use of CSS (stylesheets) since this can easily influence how the
HTML generated by MailMate is styled. To avoid this then MailMate can be
told to try to inline the styling such that it is applied on a
tag-by-tag basis (I'm talking HTML tags here). Inlining is a difficult
task though and it can currently only be done by using an external
script based on Premailer (which I did not create).

Note that all HTML capable email clients have to deal with this and
there's no perfect way to do it. (It's particularly challenging for
webmail clients which kind of have to deal with 3 levels of HTML.)