[MlMt] Breaking the thread

David Ledger mailmate at ivdcs.co.uk
Tue Jun 6 07:20:50 EDT 2017

On 5 Jun 2017, at 16:43, Robert Brenstein wrote:

> Indeed that is the issue. Threads are identified thru metadata in
> emails, so if you delete wrong duplicate, you disrupt the thread, at
> least how your mail program sees it.

I hadn’t considered the metadata within the messages, thinking more of
any metadata the MaiMate might gather and use. Comparing actual messages
I can see that IDs that I had assumed would be identical in identical
messages are, in fact, different.

The indented sub-replies aren’t related in this detail to either of my
duplicate originals, as those replies were made by others who received
their own copies of the original with their own metadata. They are
linked, so the connection must be via some metadata shared identically
between all individual original messages, so in that respect ’my’
duplicate originals are identical.

The situation is compounded by another person having access to my IMAP
tree at the ISP and being able to delete messages using Android. As
I’m hoping to set up the whole committee of eight to use the same IMAP
data at the ISP and to use it as an email management system, this will
get worse. Their other committee members will see threads the way that
their emailers show them. I’m just concerned about my view using
MailMate.

Is the linking repairable? A ‘rescan’?
Will it just fix itself?

Thanks,