[MlMt] taking SMTP servers offline?

Jerry Weldon jerryw at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 1 00:49:54 EDT 2017

At 7:29 PM -0400 5/31/17, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
>Is there any way to take SMTP servers offline?  Often, when I'm on a
>plane, I have WiFi on (for example, to use the flight-tracking web
>page), but I don't feel like paying for Internet access.  If I
>compose messages (and it's a great time to catch up on back email),
>I'm constantly getting pop-ups about edit, retry, try later (I got
>three while composing this very message...).

Sounds like TripMode would do what you want:
<https://www.tripmode.ch>

It lets you selectively allow apps to access your wi-fi connection.
Its main purpose is to prevent apps from using up one's data
allotment when tethered to a mobile device, but it works with any
wi-fi connection (and remembers whether it's been activated for a
given network).

- Jerry