[MlMt] Should I remove gmail labels completely ?

Topher Buck topher at indigitis.com
Sun Jul 2 13:32:39 EDT 2017

Giovanni et al.,

Forgive me for replying to a thread that is now more than two years old,
but I’m still struggling with the question of how best to use MailMate
with Gmail labels.

In this case, I don’t understand Giovanni’s advice (see below) to
“treat them [Gmail labels] as folders”—keeping in mind, of course,
the “no multiple labels per message” admonition. As I understand it,
in MM, folder = mailbox, and this would suggest that one would create MM
mailboxes corresponding to one’s Gmail labels. But—unless I’m
really missing something—there is no way to create mailboxes in MM
other than smart mailboxes), so there’s no way to move a message from
my inbox to another mailbox, is there? *Unless* I include the mailboxes
under SOURCES, but I thought the idea was not to use those as part of
one’s typical workflow.

The Organize section of the MM manual
[https://manual.mailmate-app.com/organize] states, “MailMate supports
3 kinds of mailboxes…”, but it then describes only two: [1] Standard
Mailboxes (Inbox, Drafts, Sent Messages, Junk, and Deleted Messages) and
[2] Smart Mailboxes. What’s the third kind? Custom, but not smart,
seems like the obvious option; is that just wishful thinking on my part?

Benny very kindly responded to my recent question about Gmail labels and
MM tags, so, assuming I understand correctly, I know that I should not
map MM tags to Gmail labels but should use MM mailboxes for Gmail labels
(and use tags within MM), and that makes sense to me, but only if I can
create MM mailboxes and map them to my existing Gmail labels/folders.

I tried quitting MM, editing the Mailboxes.plist file to add an entry
for a new mailbox, and then restarting MM, but that didn’t have any
obvious effect other than reordering the mailboxes in the left panel in
MM. Then I found this entry in the MM lists archive:
https://www.mail-archive.com/mailmate@lists.freron.com/msg03660.html and
tried copying and renaming the “Examples” mailbox. That worked, but
I don’t know how to map it to a Gmail label, nor can I even move
existing messages from my Inbox to the new mailbox, so it’s not clear
that I have actually accomplished anything.

Is the only option in MM to use tags to organize messages and move
everything I want to save to the Archive folder? I could probably live
with that, but I would be awfully nice not to abandon all my Gmail
labels, and I have not gotten the clear sense that this is necessary
(put another way, I still have the impression, based on what I have
heard from Benny and read in the archive, that it *is* possible to
create and use MM mailboxes corresponding to Gmail labels).

Can anyone enlighten me?

Thank you very much,

/topher