[MlMt] Inbox vs All Messages

Tue Jan 17 08:04:17 EST 2017

On 17 Jan 2017, at 1:46, Robert Brenstein wrote:

>> I haven't checked everything in the manual but this is perhaps what
>> you are referring to
>>
>>> The first mailbox in the mailbox outline, “All Messages”,
>>> contains all messages in your
>>> IMAP account(s) except those in the designated mailboxes for deleted
>>> messages or
>>> messages marked as junk.
>
> Yes, indeed, that was what I was referring to.

You are welcome to rephrase it for me. I'm afraid I would just rephrase
it to saying the same thing. (The last part should just be “or
junk.”, but this is a different issue and I've already fixed this.)

> That seems to be generally true. However, one of my accounts has an
> Inbox with several submailboxes (subinboxes), where some incoming
> mails are diverted by the rules on the server. The messages in those
> submailboxes are not shown in All Messages and not in Inbox.

The latter is naturally because they are not in the Inbox.

> I can see them only when selecting the Source.

Hmm, that should only happen if the mailboxes have somehow become
designated for “Deleted Messages” or “Junk” as their “Mailbox
Type”. (Also note that only 1 mailbox can exist of each type in an
account.)

We can debug this off list if you like. Note that the “Source
Mailbox” column can be useful when trying to figure out where a
message is really located (when viewing All Messages or a source).

> While investigating this, I noticed that
>
> - I can designate any mailbox on the server as one of the standard
> types except as inbox.

Yes, the inbox **MUST** be named `INBOX` on the IMAP server (the
universal Inbox in MailMate lowercases part of the name since it looks
nicer). This is specified in the IMAP “standard”. I've never seen an
IMAP server which didn't have `INBOX` or `Inbox` (which is wrong, but
MailMate can handle it).

> - Since Inbox is not in the list of mailbox types, I can’t see if a
> given mailbox has no type or is Inbox.

This is implicit in the name of the mailbox.

I know that server-side filtering means that emails can “arrive” in
any mailbox, but only the `INBOX` is given special treatment by default.
For example, this is the only mailbox which immediately detects new
emails arriving.