[MlMt] Build smart mailbox based on Gmail categories (Promotions, Social, ...)

Torsten Grust torsten.grust at uni-tuebingen.de
Sun Jan 8 10:55:28 EST 2017

Hi Benny,

On 6 Jan 2017, at 13:01, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote (with possible
deletions):
> On 5 Jan 2017, at 13:24, Torsten Grust wrote:
>
>> Gmail groups e-mail into categories like Social, Promotions, etc.
>>
>> Is it possible to build smart mailboxes based on this categorization?
>>  I am afraid that these Gmail categories are not available in
>> MailMate's condition system [maybe Gmail doesn't expose this
>> information at all] but I would be happy to be proven wrong.
>
> Categories are not exposed on IMAP. Quickly googling I found this
> potential
> [workaround](https://dylanconlin.svbtle.com/exposing-gmails-categories-to-imap).
> Let me know if you can get something like that to work.

that links nails it on the head.  Thanks, Benny!

I've got Gmail categories accessible as MailMate tags now (by using the
above to turn categories into Gmail labels first).  Knowing that you can
create a Gmail filter of the form "_has the words_ `category:...`" was
the crucial missing bit.

Cheers,
   —Torsten