[MlMt] S/MIME Encryption

Fri Feb 17 08:18:33 EST 2017

On 17 Feb 2017, at 10:16, Robert M. Münch wrote:

>> No, but when you sign a message then the recipient gains the ability
>> to encrypt messages to you if they add your certificate to the
>> keychain.
>
> I think in S/MIME exist different types of certificates as I own one
> for signing but that can't be used for encryption. Not sure how this
> is handled.

This is not a problem when signing, but when encrypting then the message
also needs to be encrypted for you (since otherwise you cannot view the
message later on). MailMate cannot do this without a certificate
available for doing encryption.

> What is strange is this: I received an email where MM stated that it
> was successfully S/MIME decrypted. But I don't have any S/MIME
> encrypting certificate.

Your signing certificate must have been used to encrypt the message by
the sender (I don't think this is technically a problem, but I don't
think it is strictly correct behavior).

MailMate has also not been very good at checking whether or not
certificates were marked for use for signing/encryption, but *I think*
the latest releases do respect this.

> So I'm wondering why MM displays this message. Further I don't have a
> clue how the one who send me the email would have gained access to my
> S/MIME certificates.

They get your certificate if you have sent a signed message to him/her.

>> I think this happens automatically in Apple Mail. In MailMate you
>> have to explicitly add it to the keychain.
>
> How do I add this to the keychain? Can I access the certificate
> anyhow?

Click on “Show Details” and then “Add to Keychain”.

For the one with the email address `xyz.xyz at abc.com`.

>> S/MIME and OpenPGP users should update to the latest test release
>> (r5346). I've made several changes which I would like to have tested
>> including an important bug fix for S/MIME (which I would like to
>> release soon).
>
> Ok, will do.

Thanks!