[MlMt] Odd behavior when deleting and recreating an account

Sat Dec 23 05:09:55 EST 2017

On 21 Dec 2017, at 23:48, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

> One of my accounts was being moved to a new server in a way that would
> not preserve the IMAP UIDs. Accordingly, I deleted the "mail source"
> entirely.

Good!

The hostname also changed I assume?

> (Aside: that it's called "mail source" for deleting or renaming, but
> "IMAP Mailbox" for adding is unfortunate.)

Originally I intended MailMate to handle more kinds of sources (POP3,
NNTP, RSS, ...) and this has unfortunately left behind some naming
confusion. That's of course just a bad excuse.

> I then added the account anew, but of course with the same email
> address. That worked, but...
>
> Under "Sources", the recreated account shows four unread messages in
> Inbox. That's correct, and corresponds to what I had before the
> shuffling. However, in the unified Inbox, the sub-folder for that
> account shows no counter, i.e., no unread messages. I have a smart
> folder under "Inbox" for unseen messages; its subfolder for that
> account also shows zero--but when I open that folder, I do see those
> four messages. In other words, the smart folder knows which the four
> unread messages are but doesn't know how to count them. Huh? The
> "Displayed Count" setting for it, the parent "Unseen" folder, and the
> unified inbox itself all say "Inherit"; the other folders under
> "Unseen" all display the correct count of unread messages.
>
> I've seen this on two different computers. On one of those two but not
> the other, deleting the source deleting the corresponding folder under
> Messages/IMAP; on the other, it did not. (I renamed it to get it out
> of the way.)

Does this issue persist if you relaunch MailMate? If it does then we can
try debugging (off list). If it doesn't then it's likely related to
removing/adding the account and maybe I can try to reproduce it given
the above.