[MlMt] High Sierra, APFS, Time Machine, and MailMate...

Roger Bohn Rbohn at ucsd.edu
Wed Dec 13 12:45:44 EST 2017

I have had this situation for many YEARS, long before I got MailMate.
The overall symptom is that backups take *many hours*, with sudden,
inexplicable stalls. I say
> "inexplicable" because Activity Monitor shows essentially no CPU,
> network, or disk activity -- but the backup just *stops*.

The problem is worse, the more Time Machine needs to back up. And for
reasons I have never figured out, even a routine backup on TM (of a few
hours of material) can have 5GB of files to go through. As a result, I
can get into a situation where TM is completely unable to get up to
date.

So I don’t know a solution, but don’t be too sure that it is really
due to MM. If anyone finds a solution, please drop me a line!
   One thing that helps is to switch from WiFi to a hard ethernet
connection. For some reason, TM is considerably faster that way.

  Roger Bohn, UC San Diego
Rbohn at ucsd.edu