[MlMt] High Sierra, APFS, Time Machine, and MailMate...

David Blank-Edelman david at blank-edelman.org
Tue Dec 12 16:45:17 EST 2017

> On Dec 12, 2017, at 1:10 AM, Steven M. Bellovin <smb at cs.columbia.edu <mailto:smb at cs.columbia.edu>> wrote:
>
> This dump is to a directly connected USB 2.0 drive. And the CPU is about 96% idle, according to 'top'.

So, I have to admit I’m still very curious to hear what is in the runtime log and what dtruss says it is actually doing. Wondering if it behaves this way when it hits a specific filesystem object, a specific amount of i/o, etc.

It would be interesting to also know how much i/o is going on (could be seen from activity monitor or a number of other tools) when it stalls. I’m also kind of curious if there are funky things going on with the hardware in this case (the drive, the cable, the connector) that are causing a ton of retries.

    — dNb

P.S. Excellent letter re: FCC.