[MlMt] High Sierra, APFS, Time Machine, and MailMate...

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Mon Dec 11 23:26:44 EST 2017

On 10 Dec 2017, at 21:14 (-0500), Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

> My suspicion is that the problem has to do with very large directories
> on APFS file systems

This would be shocking. One of the rationales for APFS existing is that
the HFS foundation was played out for dealing with large directories
efficiently. I haven't looked into the details (life is short...) but if
APFS is *worse* than HFS{+,X} with large directories then Apple is in a
worse state than I had thought...