[MlMt] High Sierra, APFS, Time Machine, and MailMate...

David Ledger mailmate at ivdcs.co.uk
Mon Dec 11 05:31:02 EST 2017

.
.
.
> Is anyone else seeing this? Does anyone have any work-arounds, other
> than "don't have such large mailboxes" or "don't run APFS"? I do have
> a new laptop on order; I'm seriously tempted to reformat it as HFS+
> before I start using it.

Having read the other replies I would question Activity Monitor. AM is
an application built on top of the real data recording and it wouldn’t
surprise me in the least if Apple filter out any sort of activity they
think you shouldn’t be concerned with. Try using ‘top’ in a
terminal window. Unless Apple have doctored a long standing utility that
will tell you what is really going on. Running ‘top’ without
arguments, the header gives you:

	Load Average (which is the number of processes waiting for the CPU
averaged over 1, 5, and 15 minutes - an indication of overall load, more
useful for servers,
	CPU usage (and idle %age),
	Memory usage,
	Swap,
	Network traffic, and
	Disk I/O

It updates every second (by default). The report below the header is at
a per-process level. It’s surprising how busy the system really is.

Hitting the ‘q’ key stops it. ’man top’ will tell you how to
control the rest of the o/p.

David