[MlMt] Can't reply without HTML/Markdown spewage???

Wed Aug 16 09:41:16 EDT 2017

On 15 Aug 2017, at 17:22, Bill Cole wrote:

> On 15 Aug 2017, at 9:16, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:
>
>> Note that Markdown is supposed to be simple readable plain text and
>> therefore it's also reasonable to convert to Markdown when trying to
>> generate plain text from HTML. For example, this should result in
>> reasonably good conversions of emphasized text or HTML lists. In
>> general, MailMate always tries to loose as little information as
>> possible.
>
> Yes, but when converting to "plain text" it is disconcerting to have
> body text in the middle of a sentence wrapped in brackets and followed
> by an URL of any size. I don't generate HTML mail by choice, so using
> Markdown's *obtrusive* features in generating a reply just makes it
> less comprehensible. (But I'm a Luddite who believes lightweight
> markup reached its peak expression ~25ya with setext...)

I certainly did not mean to imply that you should use HTML or Markdown.
Only that Markdown (like setext) is a reasonable output when converting
HTML to plain text. It just doesn't work well for long links (or,
depending on personal opinion, any links at all). It's always a priority
for me to make MailMate work well for strict plain text only users (even
if they are in the minority).

> Since you're using the Python html2text, I think there the options
> that make links into per-paragraph or per-document footnotes might be
> a better general solution in addition to supporting no link encoding
> at all.

Ok, I've added now that additional arguments can be added like this:

	defaults write com.freron.MailMate MmHTML2TextArguments -string
"--ignore-links"

That won't allow the integer option I suggested (unless it's supported
by `html2text` some day), but it'll allow users to get whatever behavior
is supported by `html2text`.

I've also updated MailMate to use the latest update of `html2text`. It's
also possible to fork and add new options to my fork of
[`html2text`](https://github.com/freron/html2text) or, probably better,
do it to the main fork found
[here](https://github.com/Alir3z4/html2text).

> Thanks. Instead, I changed "IGNORE_ANCHORS = False" to "IGNORE_ANCHORS
> = True" in the relevant config.py and removed config.pyc to assure it
> would be rebuilt. I assume that will still be reverted by the next
> update, but it is also a bit more universal, applying to all places
> where html2text is used.

Just for the record, I don't expect to be calling `html2text` without
going through the file using `MmHTML2TextArguments`.

Thanks for the feedback.