[MlMt] Can't reply without HTML/Markdown spewage???

Tue Aug 15 09:16:35 EDT 2017

On 14 Aug 2017, at 16:44, Bill Cole wrote:

> I'm pretty sure this is new-ish behavior, since I know it has not
> always been this way, although I guess it might be something I changed
> at some point. I am running r6090 on El Capitan.

I don't think it's something you have changed. Although I cannot recall
the details then I probably just improved the HTML to text converter at
some point.

>> On behalf of the team at ZipRecruiter - welcome! We're experimenting
>> with a new matching algorithm and the search engine [found a
>> job](<https://u2321971.ct.sendgrid.net/wf/click?{1823 random-ish
>> characters}>) that might fit what you're looking for. Check out the
>> description and hit ["1-Click
>> Apply"](<https://u2321971.ct.sendgrid.net/wf/click?{1794 random-ish
>> characters}>) if you like what you see.
>
> This is ridiculously unreadable, and does not even reflect the
> original HTML, as the [text](<url>) structure is apparently a Markdown
> thing.

Note that Markdown is supposed to be simple readable plain text and
therefore it's also reasonable to convert to Markdown when trying to
generate plain text from HTML. For example, this should result in
reasonably good conversions of emphasized text or HTML lists. In
general, MailMate always tries to loose as little information as
possible.

BUT these ridiculously long URLs are certainly a problem, especially
when using the plain text non-Markdown mode of MailMate. I guess
MailMate could automatically strip (or “not create”) the Markdown
URLs when the user does not use Markdown by default, but I think it
should be optional. Maybe it should even be an integer option only
stripping links longer than X characters. You could then set it to 0.

Does that sound like an acceptable solution for you?

> I don't want or need the original URLs in any reply. I don't want or
> need Markdown. I absolutely do not need or want a blob of "quoted"
> text which is neither the text I saw in the original nor the HTML of
> the original. I may be misremembering but I believe that MM used to do
> what I want it to do. How can I get that back?

A quick fix is to find the file within the application bundle which uses
this command:

	"${MM_BUNDLE_SUPPORT}/html2text"

And then add `--ignore-links` to its arguments, but this change is of
course overwritten whenever you update MailMate.