[MlMt] default columns keep forgetting its state

Mon Apr 3 03:24:18 EDT 2017

On 31 Mar 2017, at 21:42, Bill Cole wrote:

>> I think it's the same level of “bugginess” as it has been for a
>> long time (too long). Resetting mailbox related states can be done
>> like this:
>>
>> 	defaults delete com.freron.MailMate MmMailboxRelatedStates
>
> I THINK I've found a less aggressive solution that may help figuring
> out the mechanism of the bug...

Thanks for the details.

> [...] In may case, that was "ALL MESSAGES" and the top-level view for
> my main account. [...]
>
> I followed the same steps successfully on my other Mac, where only the
> top-level aggregate for my main account had the bad sticky layout. The
> implication seems to be that non-default column layouts are sometimes
> inherited from a parent or grandparent.

That is correct. In some cases this makes sense, e.g., if changing the
settings for the Junk mailbox then you would want it to be inherited by
the children when they do not have any explicit settings themselves. But
your description indicates that this code is a bit too general.

(As previously stated I find the current system/implementation too buggy
to salvage without a complete rewrite, but I'll use the above to check
if some quick fixes/improvements are possible.)