[MlMt] junk mail wagaries

Robert Brenstein rjb at uni-potsdam.de
Mon Sep 19 10:38:28 EDT 2016

On 19.09.2016 at 14:42 Uhr +0200 Benny Kjær Nielsen apparently wrote:
>Note that although MailMate follows some
>conventions when handling junk mail (such as
>marking them automatically $Junk when they are
>moved to the Junk mailbox) then this might not
>happen when using other email client. They might
>use less standard keywords or nothing at all.

I do not use any other IMAP client. My other
client is POP only. As far as I know, it marks
the mails only as read on the server. MailMate
must be moving them later to the junk mailbox - I
am turning on Mailmate only sporadically.

>Ok, you can use the following line in a Terminal
>window to create a sample report for me (off
>list):
>
>sample MailMate 5 -f ~/Desktop/sample_mailmate.txt
>
>(Do it while MailMate is hanging.)

After those long hangs that I reported, I keep
getting the pizza spinning but too short each
time for me to switch to terminal and execute the
command. If I catch it, I send it to you.

>Yes, you can do ridiculously complex things with
>smart mailboxes, but I would certainly recommend
>to try to keep it as simple as possible.

It is not so simple to make it simple when the
incoming stuff is complicated and not orthogonal.

Robert