[MlMt] Status: Gmail authentication issues

Fri Sep 2 03:31:57 EDT 2016

Hi everybody,

based on the number of emails during the night about Gmail
authentication issues then I'm now going to assume this is a MailMate
issue. Possibly a new issue or something that got worse when I tried to
fix it after the first reports (before the 1.9.5 beta was released).
I'll do my best today to learn more and hopefully fix or workaround
something. (Don't expect replies to any other issues until after this is
resolved.)

Read on if you have issues with MailMate asking to re-authenticate Gmail
accounts. I'll start out with possible ways to make it stop and then
I'll describe how to help me (if you have time).

# Possible workarounds

## Switch to an older release of MailMate

The public version:
http://updates.mailmate-app.com/archives/MailMate_r5234.tbz
The last test version before the 1.9.5 features (almost as old as the
public version):
http://updates.mailmate-app.com/archives/MailMate_r5249.tbz
The last version before I changed anything OAuth2 related:
http://updates.mailmate-app.com/archives/MailMate_r5255.tbz

## Switch to password based access

Open the IMAP account editor via the File menu and disable OAuth2
authentication. This is **only** going to work if Google allows it for
the particular account. I think this can be configured somewhere in the
Gmail web settings, but Google regularly tightens the screw on this one.

# How to help

I'm still not seeing any issues with my own 2 Gmail accounts and
therefore I cannot reproduce it. Here's how to generate as much data as
possible for me with the current debug variables.

	defaults write com.freron.MailMate MmLoggingEnabled -bool YES
	defaults write com.freron.MailMate MmDebugXOAUTH2 -bool YES

Then launch MailMate like this (if MailMate is in `/Applications`):

	/Applications/MailMate.app/Contents/MacOS/MailMate

Wait until you have seen the issue once or twice and then

	* Use “Help ▸ Send Server Logs”.
	* Include the output from the Terminal window.
	* State the OS version and MailMate version used (I'm interested in any
MailMate version having this issue in order to narrow it down).

Thanks in advance. Don't forget to disable the debug output:

	defaults delete com.freron.MailMate MmLoggingEnabled
	defaults delete com.freron.MailMate MmDebugXOAUTH2

# Other ideas?

I'm open for ideas, but I'm also a bit swamped by emails. Keep it short
:)