[MlMt] Mailmate using wrong network card

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Fri Oct 21 13:31:05 EDT 2016

On 19 Oct 2016, at 4:28, Fabian Blechschmidt wrote:

> Good morning everyone,
>
> I have the problem, that mail mate tries to use my virtual network
> card, therefore having a wrong IP address when trying to access a mail
> server, which blocks the connection (or the packet doesn't even reach
> it)
>
> I have Parallels and VirtualBox installed. Both using a couple of IP
> ranges to do their stuff. Neither of them is using 19.2.168.42.*
>
> My routing table - if I interpret that correctly, says, that
> connections to 192.168.42.146 (which is the mail server), should rund
> through default connection.

No, it says (in part) this:

> default            192.168.42.254     UGSc          777        0
> en0
> 169.254            link#4             UCS             1        0
> en0
> 192.168.42         link#4             UCS            30        0
> en0
> 192.168.42.146/32  link#4             UCS             1        0
> en0
> 192.168.42.254/32  link#4             UCS             2        0
> en0
> 192.168.42.254     0:e:38:38:ed:ff    UHLWIir       778       92
> en0   1196
> 192.168.42.255     link#4             UHLWbI          1      425
> en0

Which, at first glance, suggests that 192.168.42.146 is an IP address
assigned to your physical ethernet interface: a LOCAL address. However,
for that I would expect to see a host route for that IP via lo0 with the
flags "UHLWIi", which isn't present. Yet, the only other "UCS" route for
a /32 net is for your default gateway, clearly a working device with a
Cisco MAC address. I'm a bit confused as to what is going on here, but I
don't think this can be a working config.

What address do you think your Ethernet interface should have?

> I understand, that with the domain "my.customer.ads" we don't know yet
> which IP address the server has. I assume (but might be wrong here)
> that we than simply use the default route and change the device if
> needed after resolving the domain.

I am unable to parse that paragraph. I'm sure whatever you mean is
important to your interpretation of this problem, but it does not makes
sense in English.

Side issue: note that "my.customer.ads" has MX and A records in public
DNS, but they are bogus. The .ads gTLD is a Google project and no real
domains exist under it yet. I think you are using that name as a
placeholder here, but maybe not.

> So in short: Whatever happens inside of MailMate leads to a wrong
> network device to be used when contacting the server.

This is extraordinarily unlikely. It is technically possible for an
application to specify what address and/or interface it uses for a
specific connection, but for a client like MailMate there is absolutely
no reason to do so. Normal client app behavior when setting up a TCP
connection is to ask the OS to resolve a name to an IP address then ask
the OS to open a connection to that IP address on a specific port. The
OS typically determines the best local IP, ephemeral local port, and
routing for a connection, NOT the app.

> Any idea what to do or how to debug? Tell me if I can help. I assume
> I'm here until friday.

Fix your network config. If it does not seem wrong to you, the output of
these two commands might help illuminate what's going on:

networksetup -getinfo Ethernet

ifconfig -av