[MlMt] Mailmate hangs on error, instead of proceeding with othe accounts

Fri May 6 11:29:50 EDT 2016

On 6 May 2016, at 16:52, William P. N. Smith wrote:

> Every once in a while MailMate gets confused about one of my accounts
> and throws the attached error:
>
> Or something similar.
>
> And then my other accounts, and my junk mail filtering, and everything
> else comes to a screeching halt until I hit “Retry”.
>
> Bug, feature, misconfiguration?

Depending on your view point then it could probably be labelled any of
those options.

> Is there a workaround?

I suspect you can hardcode the account to use port 993.

By default, MailMate tries both port 143 and port 993 if no explicit
port is provided. MailMate then remembers the most recently
(successfully) used port. This is probably port 993, but maybe this some
times fails for reasons not related to the port number and then MailMate
retries with port 143. This is when you see the error message.

The reason port 143 fails is likely that the port does not support
STARTTLS which is how connections on this port are encrypted. I don't
know why the server is configured like that, but one could argue that
MailMate should handle it more gracefully.