[MlMt] Default settings for encryption/signing on per accout?

Thu Jul 21 04:29:02 EDT 2016

On 11 Jul 2016, at 16:43, Bill Cole wrote:

> On 10 Jul 2016, at 9:12, yet at gmx.de wrote:
>
>> By default (opening a new composer window) encryption is enabled and
>> my private email
>> from my business account is selected. For sending a private email I
>> have to my private
>> identity and the encryption option remains on...so I always have to
>> uncheck the encryption
>> option which is kind of annoying...is there any reasonable way for
>> having the encryption/signing
>> options per account and not based on some vague "history" magic? It's
>> just not working as expected.
>
> I just want to add whatever reinforcement to this plea I can. I won't
> even try to explain the full complex of failure modes I've run into
> with the history-based system, but I've got more addresses than I can
> count and multiple PGP keys and S/MIME certificates, so it mostly does
> not work. Since keys & certs are bound to *sending* addresses, it
> makes no sense to make sign/encrypt guesses based on the recipient
> addresses.

I think two features are mixed here. The first guess MailMate makes is
to find a sender address most likely for the recipient address. This is
updated when the To header is filled out for a new messages. The second
guess is whether to enable signing/encryption for the given recipient,
but this should happen if “based on history” is enabled.

The first guess cannot be disabled, but I expect to add this fairly soon
(no promises) since I regularly get complaints about that.

> 3. Talking to myself. Occasionally I have reasons to send myself mail
> from one account to another, in encrypted form. Every time I try this,
> MM does something that causes the GPG passphrase dialog to come up
> asking for the passphrase *of the recipient's private key* which is
> definitely not right.

This certainly sounds like a bug. I'll note to try to reproduce it.

> Also, do not open up the sender choice to robotic change at sending
> time, no matter how strange the sender/recipient pairing may seem to
> the logic in MM.

It's a bug if MailMate tries to change anything related to this at
sending time. It should only try to update the sender (or sign/encrypt)
immediately after changing the recipient address. (Also, if the sender
or the sign/encrypt state has been changed manually then MailMate should
stop the guessing.) Let me know if you find a reproducible case.

(On vacation, please be patient.)