[MlMt] enhancement, I think

Robert Brenstein rjb at uni-potsdam.de
Sun Jul 24 12:33:54 EDT 2016

On 24.07.2016 at 17:16 Uhr +0200 Benny Kjær Nielsen apparently wrote:
>On 21 Jul 2016, at 23:14, John D. Muccigrosso wrote:
>>
>>Why couldn't MM store smart-mailbox info in iCloud?
>
>The problem is not where to store, but how to
>synchronize what is stored between MailMate
>installs. Currently MailMate cannot even detect
>changes made to the file storing smart
>mailboxes. A relaunch is needed when editing it
>manually.
>
>Using iCloud to store is also an unnecessary
>complication when IMAP is already
>known/configured and available for shared
>storage (and potentially cross-platform although
>that is not relevant in this case).

Mailmate does sync mailboxes on a schedule and
could use the same procedure to sync settings.
Manual changing of local files behind the back of
mailmate is something different. Mailmate could
avoid relaunch by adding a menu item to reload
settings, essentially doing part of the startup
procedure upon user request, although I do not
see a real problem with having to relaunch the
program in this case.

When using IMAP server to sync and I use let's
say 8 different IMAP sources, how would MailMate
choose which IMAP server to use to sync? IMAP is
meant for mail handling and even syncing tags
seems to have limiations. Using cloud, I believe,
would be a better and cleaner solution and keep
mail data and operational organization separate.
You would need to decide, Benny, whether to
support whatever cloud service users have (which
can indeed add complications) or you can run your
own central service to handle syncing.
Personally, I would opt for the latter since you
then control the technology. It could even
involve a small annual fee. The syncing could be
manually controlled by users since they know when
to sync to cloud up and down, although automatic
sync would be nicer (I just saw that working
nicely with KeyShade).

Robert