[MlMt] search for different Flags

Robert Brenstein rjb at uni-potsdam.de
Thu Jul 14 14:36:21 EDT 2016

Thanks Benny for taking a break from vacation to answer :-)

On 14.07.2016 at 18:23 Uhr +0200 Benny Kjær Nielsen apparently wrote:
>It should be simple in the sense that it doesn't
>do much. The T modifier simply provides you with
>a text field for entering your tags. It'll also
>show you any existing tags for the currently
>selected message.

Ok. I must be dense. I have defined 2 tags: ToDo
and ToRead. I select a message in the mailbox. It
is highlighted purple. I hold the shift key and
press t and... nothing happens. No text field is
provided for entering tags. If I press t again
(without shift), the selection changes color of
the msg highlight from purple to dark gray. The
same happens if I highlight another msg and type
t without shift. I checked that the tags editor
shortcut is capital t, though.

When the msg is highlighted gray not purple and I
type another t, I get a little popup on the
bottom of the page, which shows the defined tags,
one being highlighted. I can move the highlighted
from one tag in the popup to the other or even
unselect it or select both, but no matter what I
tried, I do not change the current tags settings,
neither add nor remove (I have added a column
that displays tags).

I tried typing the whole name of the tag, which
does not seem to do anything, although once a
while I get a dialog asking me to create a new
tag called odo or oread (yes, the tag name I
typed less the first letter).

I once managed to assign the ToDo tag to a
message but I have no idea what I did
differently. I must be missing something very
obvious since apparently others are using tags
successfully.

It would have been so much simpler if the right
mouseclick on a msg included an item Toggle Tag
with submenu listing all defined tags, like it
does it for the Junk State. I see no problem
having to go to prefs to create new tags.
Similarly for colored flags: an item Assign Flag
with submenu listing flag colors (plus none).
That item could replace the Mark as Flagged item,
which seems to always assign the red flag.

The manual mentions nothing about removing tags. Is it even possible?

>Then the important part of the server response is this:
>
>S: * OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\Answered [...] \Seen  \*)]
>
>That last part, \*, tells MailMate that new IMAP keywords can be created.

I was looking in the Activity Viewer not logs.
Where are the logs? I don't see Mailmate in the
Console app.

Robert