[MlMt] addresses

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Fri Jul 8 18:49:06 EDT 2016

On 8 Jul 2016, at 17:20, Howard Wettstein wrote:

> Two problems.

3, actually...

I think there's a bit of email jargon you're not familiar with:
"signature" is the term most commonly used for a few lines of text
appended to some or all of one's messages, often containing information
like non-email contact information. In other words: a signature can
contain a real-world address. The rest of my answer assumes that where
you say "address" you mean "signature" because that makes perfect sense,
whereas "address" is mystifying.

> 1. When I insert an address, all subsequent emails have that address
> appended. But I often don’t want an address at all. Is there a way
> to automatically turn it off after each use?

Sadly, no. This is a function that Benny seems quite fond of, although I
have never known anyone else whose use of email signatures actually fits
the way it works. By default, you get the signature you last used on
email to the person that you are mailing.

You can cause MailMate to NOT use a signature for a particular message
by selecting "No Signature" from the Signature menu in the composition
window.

> 2. Placement. I want my address to appear after my message and before
> the quoted message that’s below. Is there a way to set it up this
> way.

I believe that is what the "Top" option in the Signatures pane of
MailMate's Preferences does.

Random Trivia: "Signature" in reference to email is an unfortunately
overloaded word that can mean either:

1. A short block of text one automatically appends to one's messages in
email and in Usenet newsgroups.

Traditionally: the signature is delimited from the actual message by a
single line containing the 3-character sequence '-- ' The signature
itself shall be no more than 4 plaintext lines of 72 characters or less.
Improper delimiters, more than 4 lines, lines over 80 characters, ASCII
art, control-code mischief, or (worst of all) HTML in a signature makes
the author Fair Game for the alt.fan.warlord newsgroup, where signature
narcissists go to be flayed.

2. A cryptographically-generated blob of data generated from a message
by an asymmetric (a.k.a. public-key) cryptographic system which is used
to irrefutably assert authorship of a message by the owner of a
particular key pair.