[MlMt] "throttled" source ?

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 02:15:06 EDT 2016

On 1 Jul 2016, at 3:42, Gary Hull wrote:

> On 30 Jun 2016, at 15:59, Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:
>
>> This morning i'm noticing I'm  missing some mails in various folders.
>> I could see them on the online archives of mailing lists, and they
>> are
>> available on gmail directly but in mailmate they where not there.
>>
>> I thought my source might be offline, but it is not instead it says
>> "throttled".
>>
>> What does that mean ?  and how can I make it non-throttled ? :)
>
> The throttling probably comes from Google's side. I use an SEO rank
> checker called Advanced Web Ranking, which crawls Google, submitting
> searches for terms you input and checking to see if your website is
> ranking for those terms. The AWR developers limit the requests and
> randomize their frequency, but nevertheless Google will sometimes
> detect the crawling and throttle them, or cut your IP address off
> altogether. I assume that they do this with e-mail accesses from IMAP
> clients also. In the case of AWR, the software reports back to the
> developers and they update the intervals in order to outsmart Google,
> but with MailMate you'd just have to manually reset the frequency. You
> might be exacerbating the problem if you are manually and obsessively
> choosing Synchronize in MailMate or if you have another e-mail client
> simultaneously synchronizing.

Yeah, I figured so much but I haven't really done anything differently
and I've been using this setup for over a year now.

Today the source is no longer throttled so not an urgent issue at this
point but damn it would be useful if Google would
provide a way to know how close one is to the limit. Right now it seems
to be a random ;/

Anyway, seems to be an issue between Google and me, not mailmate
specifically.

/max
http://about.me/maxandersen