[MlMt] How do changes to tag setup in MailMate affect messages in Gmail?

Tue Jan 26 06:13:09 EST 2016

On 25 Jan 2016, at 12:39, Jody Foo wrote:

> Ok, makes using new Tags with Gmail label mappings easier! Am I
> correct however to understand that the *creation only happens when
> trying to apply the label for the first time*? *Not* when the text is
> entered in the *Tag preferences* right?

That is correct. I don't think there is a way to create IMAP keywords
without assigning them to messages. (Gmail labels could be created, but
MailMate does not do that.)

> Ok, I'll have to keep that in mind. So one should think of the *Tag
> panel* in the preferences as "*Tag configuration*" rather than "*Tag
> Management*"?

That's one way to view it although I'm not sure those words make it more
clear to most users :-)

> Ok, so again, the best way is to *approach the tag preferences like a
> config file*? I.e. that I'm never "renaming" a tag, or even "changing"
> any properties of anything, I'm simply editing the config file?

Yes.

> In that case, since it's a config file, I would be doing the following
> to edit something?
>
> 1. Config the new Tag+label you want to use
> 2. Add that Tag+label to all messages you want to have it
> 3. Remove the old Tag+label from the messages that have the new
> Tag+label
> 4. Remove the old Tag+label from the Tag preferences

Yes. That is also a safe approach with regard to not making mistakes or
if some problem surfaces related to the used keyword and/or label.

> Ok, I'll see this as a confirmation of the steps I wrote above as
> well. (I think it should be included in the documentation in that
> case).

I'll note to document this.

> [interface suggestions]

Thanks for the suggestions. Although it would be nice with automatic
renaming of keywords/labels after making tag changes then it's not high
on my list.