[MlMt] Spotlight?

Mon Jan 18 09:37:55 EST 2016

On 18 Jan 2016, at 14:19, Vlad Ghitulescu wrote:

> What does exactly mean this 3 settings:
>
> 1. Indexed for Finder/Spotlight
> 2. Custom location
> 3. Hide folder in Finder
>
> ?

The options are hard to explain, but I've found no way to avoid them.
(I'm not saying it couldn't be improved.)

> Especially:
>
> * to 1.: are the messages in MailMate not (Spotlight)-searchable if I
> don't mark this?

When this option is disabled then MailMate ensures that the system won't
try to index the emails. Some users either don't use Spotlight or don't
use it for emails. In that case, indexing is a waste of resources.

When it's enabled then the emails are indexed, *but* they can only be
found if searching using a Finder window. The Spotlight interface
ignores anything in the app support folder of MailMate. I've found no
way to change that.

> * to 2.: why should I want a custom location?

By moving the messages folder to a different location Spotlight can be
“tricked” to actually show the emails in its search results.

> * to 3.: why would I hide the folder in Finder?

Often it would be nice if this “trick” folder is not displayed in
the Finder since the user really shouldn't mess around with its files
(MailMate relies on it). It is hidden just like the Library folder is
hidden by OS X.

I hope this helps a bit.