[MlMt] Labels/colors, global rules, and in-line reply/f=f

Thu Dec 22 07:46:51 EST 2016

On 21 Dec 2016, at 1:40, Randall Gellens wrote:

>> "0" = ( "removeTag:", "\\Flagged", "removeTag:", "$MailFlagBit0",
>> "removeTag:", "$MailFlagBit1", "removeTag:", "$MailFlagBit2" );
>
> Let me rephrase my question: I like being able to have messages show
> with different colors, and I currently use Eudora's "Make Label"
> action in filters (rules) to have messages show with one of 14
> different labels.  For example, if a message is from person A, it will
> have label color 1 applied; if it was sent to my address B, it will
> have label color 2 applied; different labels are applied if my email
> is in the To header field for some accounts or if my name appears
> early in the body.  Eudora happens to leverage Finder labels for this
> purpose, but that's an accident of implementation, not anything
> fundamental.  What's important is having messages in the same mailbox
> look different in the message list (table of contents).

There is currently no way to get, e.g., colored lines. The best you can
do is to use tags (or maybe colored flags) and then enable the
“Tags” column in the messages list. There's also an emoji variant of
this column. The idea here is that you can assign an emoji in the Tags
preferences pane to a tag and this is then used in a narrow Tags column.
Emojis are accessed in a text field by hitting ⌃⌘+space.

> Not having used MailMate for real yet, I haven't tried setting rules
> yet.  In the example above, do the flags $MailFlagBit1 and
> $MailFlagBit2 affect the display of the messages in the mailbox
> message list?

It affects the color of the flag of any flagged messages. It's how Apple
Mail handles colored flags.

> Why is it necessary to remove the flags not being set?  Is that just
> in case some other rule set them,

Yes. Each color has a specific bit pattern.

>>  (2) Can rules be global, applicable to all mailboxes, or can rules
>> be inherited?
>>
>>  Rules can be configured for any mailbox, both IMAP and smart
>> mailboxes. In other words, they can apply to any set of messages for
>> which you can create a smart mailbox. There's no inheritance involved
>> with regard to rules.
>
> Can a set of rules apply to all mailboxes in an account, or all
> mailboxes in all accounts?  Or would this require either copying the
> rules, or creating a smart mailbox that contained all messages in all
> mailboxes?

If a default mailbox does not exist which matches the emails you want
then you might need a smart mailbox. But there is a default set of
universal mailboxes (one Inbox for all inboxes etc.) and also one named
“All Messages” which contains anything but junk/trash (I don't think
rules for this mailbox is very useful though). Rules themselves can also
have conditions if you just need to narrow it down a bit.