[MlMt] syntax in smart folders editor

Gary Hull YH82d7dfU at yandex.com
Fri Apr 22 03:11:11 EDT 2016

On 22 Apr 2016, at 14:53, Howard Wettstein wrote:
> I’m trying to set up smart folders but find some of the syntax )(a
> lot of it) hard to follow, I mean  in the drop-down lists. Is there
> someplace I can find more or less detailed explanations? Thanks very
> much.

Perhaps if you describe a specific task you want to accomplish with
smart folders, we can lead you through it.

For instance, I made one to throw a particularly galling kind of spam
(that SpamSieve can't catch) in the trash so I never see it:

After creating a Smart Mailbox, and right-clicking to choose Edit:

Tab 1: Mailboxes:

-- I chose ANY and chose the INBOXes of two accounts that received the
problematic spam

Tab 2: Conditions:

-- These are global conditions. I chose ANY and used the following
patterns

----- Any Address > Domain / is

----- Unquoted Body Text / contains

----- Subject / contains

and pasted in the text to match, mostly street addresses for the outfit
that constantly changed.

Tab 3: Submailboxes:

I'm throwing stuff in the trash here, so there's nothing in the Smart
Mailbox, but if I were collecting, for instance, mail from workmates, I
could click SUBMAILBOX FOR EACH UNIQUE VALUE OF, and choose an
appropriate value (name, e-mail address, whatever) to sort the contents.
This is good for your JUNK folder also, because I for my main email
address I like to check the Junk from time to time (it doesn't get
much), but I don't want to wade through junk for other accounts.

Tab 4: Rules

Here I clicked the plus sign and chose:

-- Move to mailbox / Deleted Messages ("Move to Trash")

-- Set Tag / Seen ("Mark as Read")

The Smart Mailboxes feature is so powerful and Byzantine that you often
just have to ask Bennie here or by e-mail if some specific task can be
done, and he'll say yes or no.