[MlMt] new user help

John Cooper mailmate at coopercontent.com
Thu Apr 21 11:43:58 EDT 2016

Fredrik Jonsson wrote (at 23:45 on 20 Apr 2016):

> Howard Wettstein 2016-04-21 15:33 wrote:
>
>> Smart folders seem very useful, but I don’t know what I’m doing.
>> I have a pretty elaborate folder structure that was imported from a
>> university gmail account that I was using through Apple Mail.
>
> Smart folders are saved searches and they are really smart and really
> fast. I file away everything in "Archive" and use smart folders to
> bring order.

Fredrik, since you have an existing folder structure, I'm sure you don't
want to get rid of it. Preserving your current structure will let you
continue to find your messages easily when you're not using MailMate to
access your mail (for example, when you're using webmail).

I'm in the same boat, and I have a number of smart folders set up. One
very useful one should be in your Examples folder in MailMate: **Mailing
Lists.**  It continually searches all your messages for any that use the
obscure *List-Id* email header, which indicates that the message was
sent to a mailing list. It also displays subfolders for each individual
value of *List-Id* found. This gives you an instant view of the mailing
lists to which you're subscribed (only excepting lists from which you've
already deleted every message). Some of the subfolders may be named with
a weird code instead of a readable list name, but you can easily rename
the subfolder.

I also have smart folders set up to match messages that were sent to
email addresses that I no longer actively use. When a new message is
sent to one of those addresses, a new-message counter appears next to
the corresponding smart folder. That way I know to notify the sender
that they're using an old email address. (Of course, this only works if
the old address is still functional.)

MailMate is amazingly powerful and customizable to your workflow, but I
can testify that it can take a while to understand how it "thinks." Dive
in, keep the online docs handy, and stay subscribed to this list. You'll
figure it out!